The Ministry of Natural Resources & Environment (NRE) was established on March 27, 2004 following the formation of a new cabinet by the Prime Minister.
NRE had undertaken few departments from four ministries :
- Department of Director General of Lands and Mines (JKPTG), Department of Survey & Mapping Malaysia (JUPEM) and National Institute of Land and Survey (INSTUN) from Ministry of Land and Co-operative Development (KTPK).
- Forestry Department Peninsular Malaysia (JPSM), Forest Research Institute Malaysia (FRIM) and Minerals and Geoscience Department Malaysia (JMG) from Ministry of Primary Industries (KPU).
- Department of Environment (JAS) and Department of Wildlife & National Parks Peninsular Malaysia (PERHILITAN) from Ministry of Science Technology and Environment (MOSTI).
- Department of Irrigation and Drainage (JPS) and National Hydraulic Research Institute of Malaysia (NAHRIM) from Ministry of Agriculture (MOA)
NRE is responsible for :
Natural resources management.
- Forest management.
- Irrigation and drainage management.
- Wildlife management.
- Minerals management.
Conservation and management of environment and shelters.
- Environmental conservation.
- Marine park management.
Management of land survey and mapping administration.
- Land management and administration.
- Land surveying.
- Mapping processing.